Place:


Longthorpe  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longthorpe like this:

LONGTHORPE, a chapelry in Peterborough-St. John-the-Baptist parish, Northamptonshire; on the river N en and the Northampton railway, 2 miles W of Peterborough. Post town, Peterborough. Acres, 1,390. Real property, £2,623. Pop., 294. Houses, 64. Thorpe H all, a handsome mansion in the Italian style, is the seat of the Rev. ...


W. Strong. Peppermint is largely grown; and the distillation of oil from it is carried on at Holywell. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £100. Patron, the Hon. George W. Fitzwilliam. The church is a plain edifice of the 13th century; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel.

Longthorpe through time

Longthorpe is now part of Peterborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Peterborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Longthorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longthorpe, in Peterborough and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8060

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Longthorpe ".