Place:


Orton Waterville  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Orton Waterville like this:

ORTON-CHERRY, ORTON-WATERVILLE, or Overton-Waterville, a parish, with a small village, in the district of Peterborough and county of Huntingdon; near the river Nen, at the boundary with Northamptonshire, ½ a mile S S E of Overton r. station, and 3 S W by W of Peterborough. Post-town, Peterborough. ...


Acres, 1, 350. Real property, £2, 389. Pop., 299. Houses, 69. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Pembroke College, Cambridge; and came to it, in 1480, from Archbishop Booth. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £354.* Patron, Pembroke College, Cambridge. The church is early English, in good condition; and consists of nave and chancel, with S porch and embattled tower There are a national school, and charities £12

Orton Waterville through time

Orton Waterville is now part of Peterborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Peterborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Orton Waterville itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Orton Waterville, in Peterborough and Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7348

Date accessed: 19th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Orton Waterville ".