Place:


Holywell Flintshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Holywell like this:

Holywell.-- parl. bor., market town, and par., on Dee estuary, Flintshire, 4½ miles NW. of Flint, 16 miles NW. of Chester, and 207 miles NW. of London - par. (partly in bor. of Flint), 7808 ac., pop. 9963; parl. bor., 2427 ac. pop. 7862; town, 1126 ac., pop. 3090; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day, Friday. Holywell is a prosperous town, with large and varied industries, comprisinglead, iron, and copper works, tanning and brewnng, mfrs. of paper, flannel, Roman cement, machinery, &c. There are also extensive collieries. Near the church is the well of St Winifred, celebrated as a shrine. Holywell is one of the Flint Boroughs: which see.

Holywell through time

A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Holywell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Flintshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Holywell and units named after it.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holywell in Flintshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/368

Date accessed: 16th September 2014


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Holywell".