Place:


Natland  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Natland like this:

NATLAND, a village and a township-chapelry in Kendal parish, Westmoreland. The village stands adjacent to the Kendal and Lancaster canal and to the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, near the river Kent, ¾ of a mile S S W of Oxenholme r. station, and 2¼ S by E of Kendal. The chapelry includes the village, extends into the country, and contains the r. ...


station. Real property, £2,029. Pop., 276. Houses, 49. Helm Lodge is achief residence. Water-Crook, at a bend of the river Kent, was the site of the Roman station Galacum; and altars, coins, and other relics have been found. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £96.* Patron, the Vicar of Kendal. The church was rebuilt in 1825, at a cost of £550; and has a tower. There is an endowed parochial school.

Natland through time

Natland is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Natland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Natland, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3013

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Natland ".