Place:


New Hutton  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described New Hutton like this:

HUTTON (New), a township and a chapelry in Kendal parish, Westmoreland. The township lies on the river Beetha, 3 miles ENE of Oxenholme r. station, and 4 E of Kendal. Real property, £1,603. Pop. in 1851, 157; in 1861, 127. Houses, 24. The decrease of pop. was caused by decrease of manufacture. ...


Hutton Common here contains the reservoir of the Lancaster and Kendal canal.—The chapelry includes the township of Scalthwaiterigg, Hay, and Hutton-in-the-Hay. Real property, £4,769. Pop., 631. Houses, 113. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Lonsdale. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £80. Patron, the Vicar of Kendal. The church is modern. There is a free grammar school.

New Hutton through time

New Hutton is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about New Hutton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of New Hutton, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4385

Date accessed: 14th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " New Hutton ".