Place:


Old Hutton  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Old Hutton like this:

HUTTON (OLD), a township chapelry in Kendal parish, Westmoreland; on the river Beetha, 2¾ miles SSE of Oxenholme r. station, and 4½ SE by S of Kendal. It includes the hamlet of Holmscales; and it has a postoffice under Milnthorpe. Real property, £3,276. Pop., 406. Houses, 74. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £98. * Patron, the Vicar of Kendal. The church was rebuilt in 1669, and has a bell turret. There is an endowed school, founded in 1513, with a library attached.

Old Hutton through time

Old Hutton is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Old Hutton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Old Hutton, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5353

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Old Hutton ".