Place:


Helsington  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Helsington like this:

HELSINGTON, a chapelry in Kendal parish, Westmoreland; near the river Kent, 3 miles SW of Oxenholme r. station, and 3¾ SSW of Kendal. Post town, Kendal. Real property, £3, 899. Pop., 302. Houses, 52. Sizergh Hall is here, and will be noticed in the article SIZERGH. A new mansion was recently built. The manor belongs to the Howards. There are gunpowder mills. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £125.* Patron, the Vicar of Kendal. The church is ancient; and there is a national school.

Helsington through time

Helsington is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Helsington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Helsington, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5598

Date accessed: 22nd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Helsington ".