Place:


Chesterfield  Derbyshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Chesterfield like this:

Chesterfield.-- mun. bor., par., and township with ry. sta. Derbyshire, 11 miles S. of Sheffield -- par., 11,451 ac., pop. 29,039; township and bor., 328 ac., pop. 12,221; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 4 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday; has mfrs. of lace, merino, silk, cotton, earthenware, and hardware, while the neighbourhood is rich in coal, iron, lead, and clay. ...


The trade of the place greatly increased after 1776, when Brindley constructed the C. Canal. C. has a free grammar-school, founded by Queen Elizabeth, and an institute of mining, civil, and mechanical engineers. It is a place of great antiquity, having been a Roman station on the road from Derby to York. C. has a fine church (All Saints) with a twisted spire, 230 ft. high.

Chesterfield through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Chesterfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Chesterfield go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chesterfield in Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/256

Date accessed: 20th September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chesterfield ".