In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whittington like this:
WHITTINGTON, a parish, with a r. station, in Chesterfield district, Derby; on the Midland railway, 2½ miles N by E of Chesterfield. It contains Old W. village, which has a post-office under Chesterfield, the parish church rebuilt in 1863, two Methodist chapels, and an endowed school with £36 a year; New W. village, which has a post-office under Chesterfield, extensive iron and steel works, four dissenting chapels, and a national school; and W.-Moor hamlet, which has the Old Revolution House, where several noblemen and others met in 1688 to plan or support the Revolution. ...
Acres, 2,640. Real property, £4,527; of which £400 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 874; in 1861, 2,864. Houses, 543. The increase of pop. arose from extension of coal mining and iron-works. The manor, with W. Hall, belongs to W. Fowler, Esq. Broom House is the seat of A. Lupton, Esq.; and Prospect House, of F. Swanwick, Esq. Bricks, tiles, stone bottles, and coarse earthenware are extensively made. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £302.* Patron, the Bishop of L. Charities, £52.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Whittington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chesterfield. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Whittington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whittington, in Chesterfield and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Whittington".