In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brampton like this:
BRAMPTON, a parish in Chesterfield district, Derby; 3½ miles W by N of Chesterfield r. station. It includes the village of Culthorpe; and has two post offices, of the names of Old Brampton and New Brampton, under Chesterfield. Acres, 8,820. Real property, £10,141. Pop., 4,927. Houses, 1,051. The property is much subdivided. Brampton Hall is the seat of the Dicksons. Coal and iron ore are found; and pottery-ware, lace, and stockings are manufactured. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. ...
Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The parish church is tolerable. St. Thomas's church is a Gothic structure with a tower; was erected in 1832, at a cost of £2,930; and is served by a rector, with income of £300,* appointed by the bishop. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school, two national schools, and charities £74.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Brampton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North East Derbyshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Brampton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brampton in North East Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Brampton".