Place:


Barlow  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barlow like this:

BARLOW (Great), a chapelry in Staveley parish, Derby; on a small stream, 4¼ miles NW of Chesterfield r. station. It has a post office, of the name of Barlow, under Chesterfield. Acres, 3,760. Real property, £2,966. Pop., 682. Houses, 137. The property is divided among a few. Barlow-Grange is a chief residence. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £95.* Patron, the Rector of Staveley. The church is good. Charities, £8.

Barlow through time

Barlow is now part of North East Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North East Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barlow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barlow in North East Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5922

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barlow ".