Place:


Brimington  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brimington like this:

BRIMINGTON, a chapelry or parish, with a village of its own name, in Chesterfield district, Derby; near the Chesterfield canal and the North Midland railway, 2 miles NE of Chesterfield. The village is modern and well-built, and has a post office under Chesterfield. Real property in the parish, £3,778. ...


Pop., 1,808. Houses, 370. The property is divided among a few. Brimington Hall is a chief-residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Chesterfield. The church was built in 1808, and rebuilt, all except the tower, in 1847. There are three Methodist chapels, a mechanics' institute, a national school, and charities £6.

Brimington through time

Brimington is now part of Chesterfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chesterfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brimington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brimington, in Chesterfield and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4026

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brimington ".