Place:


Easingwold  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Easingwold like this:

EASINGWOLD, a small town, a township, a parish, a sub-district, and a district in N. R. Yorkshire. The town stands in a flat tract, at the foot of the Howardian hills, 3½ miles NE of Alne r. station, and 13 NNW of York. It dates from the Saxon times, and had a church at Domesday. It is irregularly built, and contains some old houses, yet presents a pleasant appearance; and it includes a square market-place of about two acres. ...


It has a head post office, ‡ a banking office, a public hall of 1864, a parish church, four dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a workhouse, and charities £163. The church is of mixed date, from early English onward; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with western tower. A weekly market is held on Friday: and fairs on 6 July and 26 Sept.; and a weekly newspaper is published on Friday. The manufacture of steel goods is carried on; and a weaving trade was formerly extensive, but has become extinct. Shaw, the life-guardsman, who figured so prominently at Waterloo, was a native. -The township includes the town, and comprises 6, 923 acres. Real property, £16, 654. Pop., 2, 147. Houses, 467.—The parish contains also the chapelry of Raskelf. Acres, 11, 953.- Real property, £19, 601. Pop., 2, 724. Houses, 560. The property is much subdivided. So many bronze celts have been found as to indicate that an ancient British settlement was here. Several medicinal springs occur, but have not acquired much repute. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £205.* Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The p. curacy of Raskelf is a separate benefice.—The sub-district contains also the parishes of Craike and Myton-upon-Swale, and parts of the parishes of Alne, Brafferton, and Newton-upon-Ouse. Acres, 28, 479. Pop., 5, 478. Houses, 1, 143.—The district comprehends also the sub-district of Coxwold, containing the parish of Thormanby, and parts of the parishes of Coxwold and Husthwaite; and the sub-district of Stillington, containing the parishes of Stillington, Marton-in-the-Forest, Whenby, Dalby-with-Skewsby, and Bransby-with-Stearsby, and parts of the parishes of Sheri-Hutton and Sutton-on-the-Forest. Acres, 63, 603. Poor-rates in 1862, £3, 779. Pop. in 1851, 10, 211; in 1861, 10, 148. Houses, 2, 095. Marriages in 1860, 78; births, 317, -of which 31 were illegitimate; deaths, 181, -of which 57 were at ages under 5 years, and 12 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 678; births, 3, 262; deaths, 1,886. The places of worship in 1851 were 19 of the Established church, with 5, 207 sittings; 1 of Independents, with 170 s.; 20 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 2, 495 s.; 3 of Primitive Methodists, with 411 s.; and 4 of Roman Catholics, with 338 s. The schools were 19 public day schools, with 809 scholars; 34 private day schools, with 792 s.; and 25 Sunday schools, with 1, 270 s.

Easingwold through time

Easingwold is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Easingwold itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Easingwold, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12374

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Easingwold ".