Place:


Stillington  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stillington like this:

STILLINGTON, a parish and a sub-district in Easingwold district, N. R. Yorkshire. The parish lies 5 miles ENE of Tollerton r. station, and 10 N by W of York; and has a post-office under York. Acres, 2,013. Real property, £3,724. Pop., 738. Houses, 187. The property is much subdivided. S. ...


Halland S. Villa are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Va1ue, £178.* Patron, the Prebendary of Stillington. The church is good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £13. Sterne was vicar.—The sub-district contains six parishes and a chapelry. Acres, 21,217. Pop., 2,846. Houses, 602.

Stillington through time

Stillington is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stillington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stillington, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14286

Date accessed: 17th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stillington ".