Place:


Durham  County Durham

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Durham like this:

Durham, capital of the co., parliamentary and municipal bor., episcopal city, and market town, 12 miles S. of Newcastle, 60 N. of York, and 256 N. of London by rail -- parl. bor., 967 ac., pop. 15,372; mun. bor., 880 ac., pop. 14,932; 2 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Sat. Durl am is situated on a rocky eminence ("Dunholme," "Duresme," "Durham,") nearly surrounded by the river Wear. ...


It dates from the 10th century, when the monks of Lindisfarne, after the ravaging of Holy Island by the Danes, rested there with the body of St Cuthbert, and built a chapel for its reception. The present cathedral dates from 1093. The castle, said to have been erected by William the Conqueror, became the chief residence of the bishops of Durham; it is now appropriated to the uses of the university. The university, founded by Cromwell in 1646, and dissolved after the Restoration, was re-established by Act of Parliament in 1833. Besides the university, the educational institutions comprise a grammar-school founded by Henry VIII., a diocesan training-school for schoolmistresses, blue-coat, and other schools. The only industries of any importance are a carpet factory, and a large mill for the mfr. of "Durham mustard." In the vicinity are coal. mines. Butler (1692-1752), author of The Analogy, was bishop. The bor. returns 1 member to Parliament.

Durham through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Durham has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Durham go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Durham in County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/110

Date accessed: 19th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Durham ".