Place:


Sherburn  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sherburn like this:

SHERBURN, a township, with a village, in Pittington parish, Durhamshire; on the Northeastern and the Durham and Sunderland railways, 2¾ miles E of Durham. It has stations on the railways, and a post-office under Durham. Acres, 1,303. Real property, £17,331; of which £13,850 are in mines, and £164 in railways. Pop., 2,380. Houses, 482. Coal is extensively worked. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a reading room, and national schools. See Sherburn Hospital.

Sherburn through time

Sherburn is now part of Durham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Durham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sherburn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sherburn, in Durham and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5302

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sherburn ".