Place:


Belmont  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Belmont like this:

BELMONT, a chapelry in the parish and county of Durham; on the Durham and Sunderland railway, 2 miles ENE of Durham. It was constituted in 1852; it contains the Durham suburb of Gilesgate-Moor or Gilligate, and the villages of Broomside and Carrville; and its Post Town is Durham. Rated property, £6,840. ...


Pop., 3,337. Houses, 676. The property is divided among a few. Coal is worked. Belmont Hall, Ravensflat, and the Grange are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £150.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1857, and is in the early decorated English style. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Belmont through time

Belmont is now part of Durham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Durham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Belmont itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Belmont, in Durham and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6397

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Belmont ".