Place:


Shincliffe  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shincliffe like this:

SHINCLIFFE, a village, a township, and a chapelry in St. Oswald parish, Durhamshire. The village stands on the river Wear, adjacent to the Northeastern railway, 2 miles SE of Durham; is inhabited chiefly by colliers; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Durham.-The township comprises 1,303 acres. ...


Real property, £9,253; of which £4,507 are in mines, and £218 in the railway. Pop. in 1851, 1,175; in 1861, 1,544. Houses, 298. The property is subdivided.—The chapelry was constituted in 1831. Pop. in 1861, 1,620. Houses, 310. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £98.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church was built in 1826; and schools, in the early English style, were built in 1866.

Shincliffe through time

Shincliffe is now part of Durham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Durham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shincliffe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shincliffe, in Durham and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4281

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shincliffe ".