Place:


Cassop  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cassop like this:

CASSOP, a township and a chapelry in Kelloe parish, Durham. The township lies on the Hartlepool railway, 4½ miles SE by E of Durham; and has a post office, of the name of Cassop-Colliery, under Ferryhill. Acres, 1,622. Real property, £5,248; of which £2,839 are in mines. Pop., 1,661. Houses, 321. The chapelry includes Quarrington. Pop., 3,130. Living, a p. curacy. Value, £300. The church was built in 1868.

Cassop through time

Cassop is now part of Durham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Durham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cassop itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cassop, in Durham and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5964

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cassop ".