Place:


Churchdown  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Churchdown like this:

CHURCHDOWN, a village and a parish in the district and county of Gloucester. The village stands near Erimne-street and the Gloucester and Cheltenham railway, under the Cotswolds, 3½ miles E of Gloucester. The parish includes also the hamlet of Hucclecote; and its post town is Gloucester. ...


Acres, 4, 076. Real property, £4, 679. Pop., 1, 119. Houses, 233. The property is divided among a few. Churchdown hill is 4 miles in circuit, and 2, 550 feet high; and commands a fine view of the vale of Gloucester. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and bristol. Value, £88.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is ancient, and has a Norman-looking tower. The vicarage of Hucclecote is a separate charge. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a free school, and charities £24. Harmer, the professor of Greek, was a native.

Churchdown through time

Churchdown is now part of Tewkesbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tewkesbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Churchdown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Churchdown, in Tewkesbury and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10519

Date accessed: 17th January 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Churchdown ".