Place:


Brockworth  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brockworth like this:

BROCKWORTH, a parish in the district and county of Gloucester; on Ermine-street, in the vale of Gloucester, 4 miles ESE of Gloucester. It has a post office under Gloucester. Acres, 1,847. Real property, £4,308. Pop., 475. Houses, 97. The property is divided among a few. The grounds called the Court were the site of a Roman station, and have yielded Roman remains. ...


Cooper's Hill, a steep projection from neighbouring hills, commands a brilliant view. The parish is a meet for the Cotswold hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £150.* Patron, E. G. Davis, Esq. The church is perpendicular English, with Norman arches under the tower. John Theyer the antiquary, who died in 1673, was a native. There are a national school, and charities £5.

Brockworth through time

Brockworth is now part of Tewkesbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tewkesbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brockworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brockworth, in Tewkesbury and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10439

Date accessed: 19th October 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brockworth ".