Place:


Tirley  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tirley like this:

TIRLEY, a parish, with Haw hamlet, in Tewkesbury district, Gloucester; on the river Severn, 4½ miles SW by S of Tewkesbury r. station. It has a postal pillar-box under Tewkesbury. Acres, 1,850. Real property, £4,490. Pop., 539. Houses, 129. The property is much subdivided. A bridge spans the Severn at Haw; and was built in 1825, at a cost of £24,349. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £417.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is decorated English. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £80.

Tirley through time

Tirley is now part of Tewkesbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tewkesbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tirley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tirley, in Tewkesbury and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11372

Date accessed: 20th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tirley ".