Place:


Stilton  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stilton like this:

STILTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Peterborough and county of Huntingdon. The village stands on Ermine-street, 3 miles NW by W of Holme r. station, and 7 SSW of Peterborough; was once a market-town; gives name to the finest English cheese, made chiefly in Leicestershire; is a polling place; and has a post-office‡ under Peterborough. ...


The parish comprises 1,620 acres. Real property, £3,992. Pop., 724. Houses, 181. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £500.& Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church was restored in 1857. There are two Wesleyan chapels, a national school, six alms houses built in 1868, and other charities £12.—The sub-district contains 14 parishes and a chapelry. Acres, 28,884. Pop., 5,797. Houses, 1,208.

Stilton through time

Stilton is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stilton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stilton in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7401

Date accessed: 18th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stilton ".