Place:


Denton  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Denton like this:

DENTON, a parish in the district of Peterborough and county of Huntingdon; on Holme brook, 1¼ mile SSW of Stilton, and 3½ W by S of Holme r. station. Post town, Stilton, under Peterborough. Acres, 890. Real property, £939. Pop., 87. Houses, 19. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belonged to the Cottons; and is now held by the executors of the late Captain Wells. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £130.* Patron, W. Wells, Esq. The church was partly rebuilt in 1665; has arms of the Cottons; and is good. Charities, £16. Sir Robert Cotton, the founder of the Cottonian library, was a native.

Denton through time

Denton is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Denton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Denton in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7174

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Denton ".