Place:


Glatton  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Glatton like this:

GLATTON, a village and a parish in the district of Peterborough and county of Huntingdon. The village stands 3 miles SSW of Stilton, and 3 ½ WSW of Holme r. station; and has a post office under Peterborough. The parish includes the chapelry of Holme. Acres, 6, 400. Real property, £9, 030. ...


Pop., 937. Houses, 177. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged to the Sherards and the Wellses. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £546.* Patron, J. M. Wingfield, Esq. The church is early English, with a square tower; and the chancel of it was recently restored. There are a national school, and some small charities.

Glatton through time

Glatton is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Glatton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Glatton in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7198

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Glatton ".