Place:


Dartmouth  Devon

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Dartmouth like this:

Dartmouth, mun. bor., seaport, market town, and par., S. Devon, on the W. side of the estuary of the Dart, opposite Kingswear, which is 228 miles SW. of London by rail -- par., 160 ac., pop. 3216; bor., 1847 ac., pop. 5725; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper.Market-day, Friday. D. originally consisted of 3 vils.-- Clifton, Dartmouth, and Hardness. ...


It is built on the face of a steep rock, and the streets are connected by flights of steps. The harb. is commodious and perfectly safe, and is defended at its entrance by a battery of 5 guns. The maritime trade is now confined to coasting, and to the shipment of barley, cider, potatoes, &c. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) Ocean steamers frequently call at D. for coaling purposes. On the N. side of the harb. is a lighthouse, with fixed light seen 11 miles.

Dartmouth through time

Dartmouth is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dartmouth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dartmouth, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/296

Date accessed: 16th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dartmouth ".