Place:


Slapton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Slapton like this:

SLAPTON, a parish, with a village, in Kingsbridge district, Devon; on the coast, 5½ miles SSW of Dartmouth r. station. It has a post-office under Dartmouth. Acres, 3,430; of which 110 are water. Rated property, £2,661. Pop., 681. Houses, 148. The property is subdivided. S. Ley is a reedy freshwater lake, 2 miles long, abounding with fish and fowl, and separated from the sea by only a ridge of sand. ...


The parish is a resort of sportsmen, and has a hotel on the beach. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £96. Patrons, Trustees. The church is of the 13th century. There are a parochial school, and charities £98. Flavel, the distinguished nonconformist, was for some time a resident.

Slapton through time

Slapton is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Slapton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Slapton, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1906

Date accessed: 16th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Slapton ".