Place:


Blackawton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blackawton like this:

BLACKAWTON, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Kingsbridge, Devon. The village stands 4 miles W of Dartmouth, and 6 S by W of Totnes r. station; and has a post office under Totnes. The parish includes Street chapelry, and extends to the coast. Acres, 5,646; of which 60 are water. ...


Real property, with East Allington, £11,644. Pop., 1,229. Houses, 252. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Street, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £122.* Patron, Sir H. P. Seale, Bart. The church is perpendicular English; and contains a carved oak pulpit and screen, and several neat monuments. The chapel at Street is an erection of 1836; and there are Wesleyan chapels at the village and at Street, and charities £16. The subdistrict comprises three parishes. Acres, 12,408. Pop., 2,571. Houses, 538.

Blackawton through time

Blackawton is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blackawton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blackawton, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4020

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blackawton ".