Place:


Dittisham  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dittisham like this:

DITTISHAM, a village and a parish in Totnes district, Devon. The village stands on the river Dart, 3 miles NNW of Dartmouth town and r. station; is noted for fine scenery and for plums; and has a post office under Totnes. The parish includes also the hamlet of Capton. Acres, 3, 438; of which 340 are water. ...


Real property, with Stoke-Fleming, £10, 009. Rated property of D. alone, £3, 317. Pop., 762. Houses, 162. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, in the Conqueror's time, to Baldwin, Baron of Okehampton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £444.* Patron, the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe. The church is early perpendicular English; and was, not long ago, restored. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and charities £44.

Dittisham through time

Dittisham is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dittisham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dittisham, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3527

Date accessed: 15th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dittisham ".