Place:


Ditchingham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ditchingham like this:

DITCHINGHAM, a parish in Loddon district, Norfolk; near the Waveney Valley railway, 2 miles N by W of Bungay. It has a post office under Bungay, and a railway station. Acres, 2, 083. Real property, £5, 811. Pop., 1, 100. Houses, 247. The property is much sub-divided. D. Hall is the seat of the Bedingfields. ...


There is a large silk mill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, 482.* Patrons, the Executors of the late Lord H. Howard. The church is good. A new church, a house of mercy, and an orphan home were built in 1865. There are a nat. school and charities £109.

Ditchingham through time

Ditchingham is now part of South Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ditchingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ditchingham in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2639

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ditchingham ".