Place:


Sculcoates  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sculcoates like this:

SCULCOATES, a parish and a district, in E. R. Yorkshire. The parish lies wholly within Hull borough; contains a large portion of Hull town; is cut into two sub-districts, East and West; and has been considerablynoticed in our article on Hull. Acres, 1,010. Real property, £85, 979; of which £800 are in gas-works. ...


Pop.in 1851, 22, 325; in 1861, 27, 167. Houses, 5, 842. The land was held, at Domesday, by Ralph de Mortimer; went afterwards to a priory founded on it; had scarcely100 inhabitants so late as about 1770; and began to be a populous suburb of Hull immediately after the construction of the Hull docks. The parish is ecclesiastically cut into three sections, St. Mary, Christchurch, and St. Paul. The living of St. M. is a vicarage, and the other livings are p. curacies, in the diocese of York. Value of St. M. and C., each £300; of St. P., £410.* Patron of St. M., the Lord Chancellor; of C., the Vicar and Eight Trustees; of St. P., alternately the Crown and the Archbishop. The district comprehends also the sub-districts of Drypool, Hedon, Hessle, Ferriby, Cottingham, and Sutton; and comprises 45,084 acres. Poor-rates in 1863, £15, 383. Pop. in 1851, 44, 719; in 1861, 51, 956. Houses, 11, 182. Marriages in 1863, 620; births, 2, 149, of which 129 were illegitimate; deaths 1, 467, of which 752 were at ages under 5 years, and 23 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 5, 397; births, 17,002; deaths, 10, 763. The places of worship, in 1851, were 15 of the Church of England, with 10, 194 sittings; 6 of Independents, with 3, 615 s.; 3 of Baptists, with 590 s.; 1 of Unitarians, with 30 s.; 16 of Wesleyans, with 4, 807 s.; 3 of New Connexion Methodists, with1, 160 s.; 11 of Primitive Methodists, with 2, 404 s.; 1 of Wesleyan Reformers, with 1,000 s.; 1 undefined, with 34 s.; 2 of Roman Catholics, with 878 s.; and 1 of Latter Day Saints, with 10 attendants. The schools were 20 public day-schools, with 2, 325 scholars; 132 private day-schools, with 2, 915 s.; 39 Sunday schools, with5, 470 s.; and 5 evening schools for adults, with 46 s. The workhouse is in West Sculcoates sub-district, and, at the census of 1861, had 257 inmates.

Sculcoates through time

Sculcoates is now part of Kingston upon Hull district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kingston upon Hull has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sculcoates itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sculcoates, in Kingston upon Hull and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14189

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sculcoates ".