Place:


Beverley  East Riding

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Beverley like this:

Beverley, mun. bor. and market town, East-Riding Yorkshire, 7½ miles NW. of Hull, 33¾ miles SE. of York, and 183 miles from London by rail, 2412 ac., pop. 11,425; P.O., T.O., 4 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. It is connected with river Hull by a canal. The collegiate church of St John or B. ...


Minster (13th century) is one of the finest Gothic structures in the kingdom, and contains the Percy shrine. The market-place occupies 4 acres, and has an octagonal cross. B. has a large trade in timber, grain, wool, and leather; and mfrs. of agricultural implements, machinery, railway waggons, &c.

Beverley through time

Beverley is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Beverley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Beverley, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/349

Date accessed: 16th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Beverley ".