Place:


Leven  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leven like this:

LEVEN, a village, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict in E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 4¾ miles E by N of Arram r. station, and 6 NE of Beverley; is connected by a canal, westward, with the river Hull; comprises two streets crossing at right angles; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post office‡ under Beverley. ...


The township is in Beverley district, and comprises 3,517 acres. Real property, £6,124; of which £280 are in the canal. Pop., 889. Houses, 195. The parish contains also the township of Hempholme in Skirlaugh district, and comprises 4,837 acres. Real property, £7,521. Pop., 990. Houses, 210. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £1,190. * Patron, J. T. Leather, Esq. The church has an open-timbered roof, a fine E window, and a tower; and is good. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a parochial school, and a girls' school.—The sub-district is in Beverley district, and contains Leven township and Routh and Wawne parishes. Acres, 10,984. Pop., 1,469. Houses, 279.

Leven through time

Leven is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leven itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leven, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13304

Date accessed: 17th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leven ".