Place:


Watton  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Watton like this:

WATTON, a parish in Driffield district, E. R. Yorkshire; 1¾ mile SSW of Hutton-Cranswick r. station, and 5½ S by W of Great Driffield. Post town, Driffield. Acres, 3,720. Real property, £4,952. Pop., 343. Houses, 51. The property is divided among a few. A nunnery stood here in 686; and was destroyed by the Danes about 870. ...


A Gilbertine abbey was founded, on the site of the nunnery, by Eustace Fitz-John, in 1149; went, at the dissolution, to the Dudleys; and is now represented by a portion of its buildings, in early Tudor architecture, converted into a dwelling-house. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £60. Patron, R. Bethell, Esq. The church is tolerable.

Watton through time

Watton is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Watton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Watton, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14431

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Watton ".