Place:


Staines  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Staines like this:

STAINES, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Middlesex. The town stands on the river Thames, near the influx of the river Colne, and on the Southwestern railway, at the junction of the line to Windsor, 6 miles SE of Windsor; took its name from an ancient stone on the boundary of the City of London's jurisdiction of the Thames; was known to the Romans as Pontes, to the Saxons as Stane; stood anciently amid a forest which, till 1227, extended to Hounslow; was the place where the Danes crossed the Thames, in 1009, after burning Oxford; is a seat of petty sessions, and governed by two constables and four head-boroughs; publishes a weekly newspaper; carries on brewing and mustard-manufacture; and has a head post-office,‡ a r. ...


station with telegraph, a banking office, a chief inn, a disused market house, a police station, a bridge erected in 1832 at a cost of more than £40,000, a neat modern church, four dissenting chapels, a literary and scientific institution erected in 1835, a national school, a Lancasterian school, a school of industry, charities £20, a weekly market on Friday, and fairs on 11 May and 19 Sept. Pop. in 1861, 2,584. Houses, 526.—The parish comprises 1,844 acres. Real property, £14,176. Pop. in 1851, 2,577; in 1861, 2,749. Houses, 557. The manor belongs to R. Taylor, Esq. Yoveney also is a manor; and Hammonds, Duncroft House, Shortwood Common, and Withygate are chief places. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £300.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. Inigo Jones was a resident. -The sub-district contains six parishes. Acres, 13,278. Pop., 8,687. Houses, 1,736.—The district comprehends also Sunbury sub-district, and comprises 24,881 acres. Poor rates in 1863, £9,386. Pop. in 1851, 13,973; in 1861, 15,976. Houses, 3,165. Marriages in 1863, 87; births, 479,-of which 21 were illegitimate; deaths, 353,-of which 129 were at ages under 5 years, and 10 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 804; births, 4,326; deaths, 2,870. The places of worship, in 1851, were 13 of the Church of England, with 4,433 sittings; 5 of Independents, with 1,030 s.; 5 of Baptists, with 833 s.; 1 of Quakers, with 250 s.; 2 of Wesleyans, with 238 s.; and 1 of Primitive Methodists, with 50 s. The schools were 15 public day schools, with 1,296 scholars; 27 private day schools, with 507 s.; and 16 Sunday schools, with 1,245 s. The workhouse is in Stanwell.

Staines through time

Staines is now part of Spelthorne district. Click here for graphs and data of how Spelthorne has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Staines itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Staines, in Spelthorne and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1102

Date accessed: 21st July 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Staines ".