Place:


Harmondsworth  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harmondsworth like this:

HARMONDSWORTH, or HARMSWORTH, a village and a parish in Staines district, Middlesex. The village stands near the river Colne, 1¾ mile S by W of West Drayton r. station, and 4¼ N by E of Staines; was known at Domesday as Hermodesworde; and has a post-office under Slough. The parish includes also the village of Sepston, and comprises 3,480 acres. ...


Real property, £8,602. Pop., 1,385. Houses, 301. The manor belonged to Rouen abbey; went to William of Wykeham, bishop of Winchester, and from him to Winchester college; came to the Crown in the time of Henry VIII.; and was given by Edward VI. to Sir W. Paget. Market-gardening is carried on. Traces of an ancient entrenchment are in the south. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; and, till 1868, was united with West Drayton. Value, £400.* patron, H. D. Burgh, Esq. The church is partly Norman, partly early English; and has stalls and a piscina. There are a national school, and charities £139.

Harmondsworth through time

Harmondsworth is now part of Hillingdon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hillingdon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harmondsworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harmondsworth, in Hillingdon and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3431

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harmondsworth ".