In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Debenham like this:
DEBENHAM, a small town and a parish in Bosmere district, Suffolk. The town stands on the side of a hill, near the source of the river Deben, 7 miles W of Framlingham r. station, and 8 NNE of Needham-Market; and has a post office † under Stonham, two inns, a weekly market on Friday, and a fair on 24 June. The parish comprises 3, 271 acres. Real property, £7, 266. Pop., 1, 488. Houses, 354. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belonged to Butley priory; and passed to the Framlinghams, the Gandys, the Pitts, the Bridges, and others. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £210.* Patron, Lord Henniker. The church is early and later English. There are an Independent chapel, a free school, a mechanics' institute, a police station, and charities £150.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Debenham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mid Suffolk. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Debenham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Debenham in Mid Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Debenham".