Place:


Stonham Aspall  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stonham Aspall like this:

STONHAM-ASPALL, a parish, with a village, in Bosmere district, Suffolk; 4½ miles NE of Needham-Market r. station. It has a post-office under Ipswich. Acres, 2,399. Real property, £4,957. Pop. in 1851, 814; in 1861, 694. Houses, 156. The property is subdivided. Broughton Hall is an ancient mansion, once the seat of the Wingfields. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £666.* Patron, Miss Broke. The church is decorated English, with ornate steeple. There are a free school, a national school, and charities £150.

Stonham Aspall through time

Stonham Aspall is now part of Mid Suffolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Suffolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stonham Aspall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stonham Aspall in Mid Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7711

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stonham Aspall ".