Place:


Fenstanton  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fenstanton like this:

FEN-STANTON, a village and a parish in St. Ives district, Huntingdon. The village stands near the river Ouse, the boundary with Cambridgeshire, and the St. Ives and Cambridge railway, 2 miles S of St. Ives; and has a post office under St. Ives. The parish comprises 2, 400 acres. Real property, £8, 253; of which £168 are in gas-works. ...


Pop., 1, 120. Houses, 249. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Hilton, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £320.* Patron, Trinity Hall, Cambridge. The church is good; and there are two dissenting chapels, an endowed school with £30, and charities £153.

Fenstanton through time

Fenstanton is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fenstanton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fenstanton in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7185

Date accessed: 23rd November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fenstanton ".