Place:


Margate  Kent

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Margate like this:

Margate, mun. bor., par., and seaside resort, Kent, in Isle of Thanet, 5 miles NW. of Ramsgate and 74 miles E. of London by rail - par., 3919 ac. and 618 foreshore, pop. 18,226; mun. bor., 995 ac., pop. 16,030; 2 Banks, 3 newspapers. The place was formerly known as Mergate, meaning a passage to the sea. ...


The mun. bor., which received its charter of incorporation in 1857, is a corporate member of the Cinque Port of Dover. Margate is undoubtedly the most familiar seaside resort of Londoners, of whom many thousands visit the place every year. Much has been done in the town for the convenience and comfort of visitors; piers and esplanades especially have been constructed at great expense. The town is well known for its fine hotels and its hospitals for the reception of invalids. Sea fishing is the chief industry, considerable numbers of flat fish being brought to the shore. At W. end of pier is a lighthouse 70 ft. high, with fixed light 85 ft. above high water and seen 10 miles.

Margate through time

Margate is now part of Thanet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Thanet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Margate itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Margate, in Thanet and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/709

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Margate ".