Place:


Hythe  Kent

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Hythe like this:

Hythe.-- parl. and mun. bor., market town, water ing-place, and Cinque Port, E. Kent, 68 miles SE. of London - parl. bor. (including Folkestone, 5 miles E.), 13, 591 ac., pop. 28,239; mun. bor., 2517 ac., pop. 4173; 1 Bank. Market-day, Saturday. Leland says that Hythe at one time had four parish churches and a fine abbey: that itwas formerly a place of some importance is further proved by its having been made one of the Cinque Ports. ...


Its falling off is due to the harbour having been choked with sand and shingle. The town is pleasantly situated, and has some interesting antiquities; is well known through the Government School of Muskctry, the rifle butts, &c.; and has two forts, viz., Sutherland and Moncreiff. The bor. returns 1 member to Parliament.

Hythe through time

Hythe is now part of Shepway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shepway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hythe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hythe, in Shepway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/524

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hythe ".