Place:


Deal  Kent

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Deal like this:

Deal, municipal borough, market town, seaport, and par. with ry. sta., E. Kent, 4 miles SE. of Sandwich and 82 miles SE. of London -- par. and bor., 1111 ac., pop. 8500; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank, 3 newspapers.Market-days, Tuesday and Saturday. D. has of late years been resorted to as a watering-place, and baths, libraries, bazaars, and a promenade pier 1000 ft. ...


in length have been erected for summer visitors. The town, however, derives its importance mainly from its vicinity to the Downs, and the chief trade consists in victualling wind-bound vessels. There is also a little boatbuilding and sailmaking. D. is a great pilot station, and the boatmen have long been famous for their skill and daring. Deal is now a sub-port of Dover. Henry VIII. erected three castles in the vicinity -- Walmer, Sandown, and Deal; the last, at the 8. end of the town, has been converted into a private residence. Deal is a corporate member of the Cinque Port of Sandwich, and formed part of the parl. bor. of Sandwich, which was disfranchised in 1885.

Deal through time

Deal is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Deal itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Deal, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/574

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Deal ".