Place:


St Margarets At Cliffe  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Margarets At Cliffe like this:

MARGARET (ST)-AT-CLIFFE, a village and a parish in Dover district, Kent. The village stands ½ a mile from the coast, and 4½ NE of Dover r. station; takes the suffix of its name from chalk cliffs, overlooking the En glish channel; and has a post office under Dover. The parish contains also the hamlet of St. ...


Margaret's Bay; and comprises 1,759 acres of land, and 165 of water. Real property, £2,966. Pop. in 1851,763; in 1861, 831. Houses, 137. The property is divided among a few. The manor has always belonged to the Archbishops of Canterbury. The cliffs curve round and shelve down like an amphitheatre; command a fine view of the English channel and the French coast; are traversed, down their broken sides. by a winding road from the village to St. Margaret's Bay; and are noted for a breed of guillemots which Buffon and Pennant state to be in much request by the fishermen of Picardy, as baits for lobster and other fish. St. Margaret's Bay is noted for lobsters, said to be the finest flavoured ones in England, and for prawns, of a large size; and is the commencingpoint of the sub-marine telegraph across the Channel. The South Foreland, with its lights, is on the S side of the bay. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £160. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is fine Norman, of Caen stone; was found, on removal of a thick coating of plaster and whitewash, to have excellent specimens of stone carving; comprises a nave of four bays, and a very long chancel; possesses highly interesting features; and was restored in 1866-7, at a cost of about £1,500. There are large boarding schools.

St Margarets At Cliffe through time

St Margarets At Cliffe is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Margarets At Cliffe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Margarets At Cliffe, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6342

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Margarets At Cliffe ".