In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winterborne St Martin like this:
WINTERBOURNE-ST. MARTIN, a parish, with Martinstown village and Ashton tything, in Dorchester district, Dorset; 3 miles W by S of Dorchester r. station. It has a post-office, of the name of Martinstown, under Dorchester; and it formerly had a weekly market, and still has a fair on St. Martin's day. Acres, 3,503. Real property, £3,724. Pop., 458. Houses, 90. Maiden Castle, noticed in our article on Dorchester, is here; and many tumuli are on Four-Barrow hilland Clandon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £73. Patron, the Bishop of S. There are a national school, and charities £33.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Winterborne St Martin has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Winterborne St Martin and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winterborne St Martin in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Winterborne St Martin".