In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winterborne Came like this:
WINTERBORNE-CAME, a parish, with Cripton hamlet, in Dorchester district, Dorset; 1½ mile SE of Dorchester r. station. Post town, Dorchester. Acres, 1,970. Real property, £1,996. Pop., 125. Houses, 24. The property is all in one estate. A nunnery cell to Caen, in Norm and y, was here. The living is a rectory, united with W.-Faringdon, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, 251.* Patron, Capt. L. S. D. Damer. The church is good.
Winterborne Came is now part of West Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Winterborne Came itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winterborne Came in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Winterborne Came ".