In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winterborne Monkton like this:
WINTERBOURNE-MONKTON, a parish in Dorchester district, Dorset; 1¾ mile SSW of Dorchester r. station. Post town, Dorchester. Acres, 631. Real property, £910. Pop., 86. Houses, 18. An alien priory, a cell to Cluny abbey, was founded here in the time of King John. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £157.* Patron, the Earl of Ilchester. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Winterborne Monkton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Winterborne Monkton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winterborne Monkton in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Winterborne Monkton".