In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Maiden Newton like this:
MAIDEN-NEWTON, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Dorchester district, Dorset. The village stands on the river Frome, and on the Dorchester and Yeovilrailway, at the junction of the branch to Bridport, 7¾ miles NW of Dorchester; was once a markettown; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, a post office‡ under Dorchester, and fairs on 9 March and 4 May. The parish contains also the hamlets of Cruxton and Notton. Acres, 2,853. Real property, £3,912. Pop., 84e. ...
Houses, 167. The property is mostly in one estate. Iron-founding and brewing are carried on. Some Roman tesselated pavement was found on the S border, near the end of last century. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Valne, £600.* Patrons, the Earl of Ilchester and the Countess of Egremont. The church is Norman; consists of nave, S aisle, and transept, with a central embattled tower; and is in good condition. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £5.The sub-district contains also seventeen other parishes. Acres, 35,234. Pop., 5,603. Houses,
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Maiden Newton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Maiden Newton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Maiden Newton in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Maiden Newton".