In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wynford Eagle like this:
WINFORD-EAGLE, a chapelry in Toller-Fratrum parish, Dorset; 2 miles SW of Maiden Newton r. station. It gives the title of Baron Wynford to the family of Best. Post town, Maiden-Newton, under Dorchester. Acres, 1,370. Real property. £2,168. Pop, 137. W. house is the seat of Lord Wynford. Several barrows are on Fern down. The living is annexed to Toller-Fratrum. The church was built in 1842. The physician Sydenham, of the time of Charles II., was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wynford Eagle has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wynford Eagle and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wynford Eagle in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wynford Eagle".