Place:


Saxilby  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Saxilby like this:

SAXELBY, a village and a parish in the district and county of Lincoln. The village stands near the rivulet Till, the Lincoln and Gainsborough and Lincoln and Retford railways, and the Foss dyke navigation, 6 miles W N W of Lincoln; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Lincoln. ...


The parish contains also the hamlets of North Ingleby and South Ingleby, and comprises 4, 270 acres. Real property, £7,077. Pop., 1, 174. Houses, 260. The property is subdivided. Wharves forcoal and corn are on the Foss dyke; and there are brickfields and a barrow. The living is a vicarage, united with Ingleby, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £220.* Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church was recentlyrepaired, and has a fine tower. There are three Methodistchapels and a national school.

Saxilby through time

Saxilby is now part of West Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Saxilby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Saxilby, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13535

Date accessed: 20th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Saxilby ".