Place:


Torksey  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Torksey like this:

TORKSEY, a village and a parish in Gainsborough district, Lincoln. The village stands on the river Trent, at the junction of the Foss-dyke, and on the Retford and Lincoln railway, 7 miles S by E of Gainsborough; dates from very ancient times; was the place where Paulinus baptized his converts in 630, and where the Danes wintered in 873; had 200 burgesses at Domesday, and two churches in the time of Henry VIII.; had also an Augustinian priory, founded by King John, and given at the dissolution to Sir P. ...


Hobbey; is now a small place; and has a station on the railway, and a fair on Whit-Monday. The parish contains three townships, and comprises 3,170 acres. Post town, Gainsborough. Real property, £3,782. Pop., 379. Houses, 79. T. Castle occupies the site of a Roman granary; is supposed to have been built in the time of Cromwell; and is now a ruin, with brick front and four stone turrets. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £60. Patron, the Hon.H. Cust. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Torksey through time

Torksey is now part of West Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Torksey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Torksey, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13980

Date accessed: 17th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Torksey ".